If you intend to carry out civil and criminal legal aid (including advice and assistance), you will need to first register with the Scottish Legal Aid Board (SLAB). The application process ultimately leads to a certificate of compliance, which is required before you can start practising. If you only intend to carry out criminal court work, you will be eligible for a discount on your professional indemnity insurance. Your completed proposal form should highlight this to Lockton.

You should contact SLAB to provide signage advertising that shows that you offer legal aid work.

Contact www.slab.org.uk
See Rule and Guidance C3